BASIC PLUMBING INFORMATION EVERY HOMEOWNER SHOULD KNOW
Knowing the basics of your home plumbing system can minimize any potential damage and/or unnecessary cleanup if an emergency occurs.
- Make sure everyone in your home knows where the main shut off valve is located. If you should experience a leak, your first action should be to shut off the main water.
- Know the location of the sewer cleanout. When the sewer starts to back up into your home, opening the main sewer cleanout will stop the sewage from continuing to flow into the home.
- If steam or boiling water ever comes out of the relief valve at the top of your water heater or one of your faucets – safely turn off the power to the heater immediately. Let some faucets run on the hot side until cold water runs through them. This will let you know that the water in the heater tank is no longer over heated.
- Garbage disposals are designed for scraps of food only & should not be used in place of a garbage can. To clean or deodorize your garbage disposal, periodically run it with ice cubes and a small amount of lemon peels. This should clear any debris from the blades and remove any foul odors from the unit.
- Even though some items say they are “flushable,” they should not be flushed down the toilet. Baby wipes, paper towels, packaging for feminine hygiene products and kitty litter are just a few examples of so-called flushable items. Disposing of these items in a waste basket can save you money by avoiding unnecessary repairs.
At NDI Plumbing Inc., we have plumbers available 24 hours a day for life’s unexpected emergencies. The next time our plumber visits your home for a plumbing repair, he will be glad to assist you in locating your shut off valves or cleanouts if you are unable to find them.
Call us at (775) 745-8791 to schedule an appointment.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.