To help you avoid the annoyance and inconvenience of a clogged drain, NDI Plumbing Inc. compiled some tips on how to both prevent and clear a clog.
How to Prevent a Clog
Toilets, kitchen and bathroom sinks, and bathtubs and showers are the most common places for a clogged drain. Use the following tips to prevent these occurrences.
- Do not put grease or oil down your kitchen drain. Grease, fat, and other oils can adhere to your pipes. Other debris then sticks to the grease and creates a stubborn kitchen drain clog. Instead, throw grease, fat and oils in the garbage in a sealed container.
- Install strainers on all drains. Hair commonly causes drain clogs, especially in showers and bathtubs. You can easily prevent these clogs by installing a screen or strainer on your drains and remembering to clean them regularly.
- Pay attention to what goes down your drain. Things that solidify, such as paint, glue, and wax should never be put down your drain. These items will harden inside of your pipes, causing either a partial or whole blockage.
- Remember: your toilet is NOT a wastebasket. The only thing that should ever be flushed down your toilet (besides the obvious) is toilet paper. Facial tissues, sanitary products, cotton balls, and diapers are not made to properly dissolve in water and will cause a clog if flushed down your toilet.
- When using the disposal, run cold water. Run cold water at least fifteen seconds after you turn your disposal off. This will clear the pipes of any remaining debris and help prevent clogs.
Remember if you have a clogged drain, call the experts at NDI Plumbing today and set up an appointment 775-745-8791!
Mention this tip and you will receive the 1st Hour of Service for only $59.95!!